Thursday, April 18, 2019

My thoughts about judgement in nuremberg

I just saw again a great film which is called "judgement in nuremberg", which was directed by a great director Stanley Kramer.  The film stars  Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster, Richard Widmark, Maximilian Schell, Werner Klemperer, Marlene Dietrich, Judy Garland, William Shatner, and Montgomery Clift. 



I was more struck by the acting of Montgomery Clift who had a car accident and created the best performance a mentally challenged castrated worker in the movie.  Of course much the credit should go to Stanley Kramer, who brought out the best performances of all these great actors.  I did not know that Abby Mann wrote an incredibly brilliant script, which reminds me of one of my stupidest things i have ever done. 



In 1965 Christopher Plummer invited me to his house in London to a party where Abby Mann was also present.  He wanted to write the script to In Praise of Older Women, I did not know anything about him then and I told him "no".  It is one of the things  I feel like hitting my head against a wall, at least once a year.


No comments: